Team Ninja Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Team Ninja Bulletin Board > The Lounge > The Media Centre

Old 17th February 2008, 11:29 PM
Troll

Blu-ray wins the war

Quote:
Japanese electronics conglomerate Toshiba, the pioneer and leading manufacturer of HD-DVD players and recorders, is expected to announce its surrender later this week.

The final blow for Toshiba and its backers fell on Friday when supermarket giant Wal-Mart, the biggest DVD outlet in the US, said it would no longer stock HD-DVD players and discs once stocks expired.

News agency Reuters quoted an unnamed Toshiba source as saying: "We have entered the final stage of planning to make our exit from the next-generation DVD business."

The HD-DVD camp had been besieged by defections since the January decision by Warners Brothers, owner of one of the world's largest movie libraries, to no longer issue videos in HD-DVD format.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html

Great - so region coding continues. Wonder why Warners backed blu-ray eh?

Dont be in a rush to get one - seems Sony are changing everything and current players will be obsolete if rumours are true (anyone??).

I think I'll wait till the next-big-thing anyway - Yaknow I can't honestly say High Definition TV is really that much better. For the costs I'm perfectly happy with DVD's

Stomp of the day in Seti Boinc  
Old 18th February 2008, 02:18 AM
Ninja Master
Colymbosathon Ecplecticos

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyles View Post

Ya know I can't honestly say High Definition TV is really that much better.
Oh yes it is!

"Oh no it isn't!"

Oh but it is mate :D

I can tell quite a difference when I'm watching anything in full HD... be it a SkyHD programme, or a HD-DVD film, on my 1080p capable HDTV

Yes... HD-DVD!

Which is why I'm extremely saddened by recent murmurings on a number of sites (such as the one you've linked to there), about Toshiba being the next big player to possibly be pulling the plug :(

But I've invested far too much money on the format, to sling/sell my HD-DVD player and film collection just yet!
And guess what make of dedicated HD-DVD player I've got? You got it. A bloody Toshiba [HD-EX1] no less (£430 worth when I bought it!!)

I'm not completely 'all at sea' with the imminent demise of HD-DVD though.
HD-DVD films aren't going to disappear overnight... and I've always got my PS3 anyway.

But I've suspected HD-DVD was going to lose out in the end? Ever since other big players like Warner Brothers pulled out last year in fact.
So... whilst it still has the [not insignificant] backing of Microsoft (Xbox 360)... Toshiba pulling the plug, could put one of the final nails in the coffin for HD-DVD :(

For that reason... I've been looking at dedicated Blu-Ray players recently, and just yesterday all but made my mind up to get a Panasonic DMP-BD30.

In the meantime... long live HD-DVD

Stomp of the day in Seti Boinc  
Old 18th February 2008, 02:40 AM
Troll

I agree there definitely is a difference, but given prices such as you quoted I dont believe the improvement is worth it. Things like the HD-DVD/bluray war certainly dont help consumer confidence either. The vast majority of people seem quite happy fence sitting (myself included obviously) until they drop to a tenth the current prices. Maybe if they served beer and pizza I'd consider it more seriously (hmmmm.... :idea: )
Old 18th February 2008, 06:35 PM
The Original Muppet

Quote:
......Dont be in a rush to get one - seems Sony are changing everything and current players will be obsolete if rumours are true (anyone??).......
Ok . Blue-ray players use profiles. Depending what profile the machine and disk support will depend on what feature you can use.

Profile 1.0 is just your basic disc/player and has no extra facilities.

Profile 1.1 is the final standard profile it allows extra facilities such as picture in picture. To be compliant a system has to have 256Mb local storage capacity,a "virtual file system" as well as a secondary video and audio decoder.

Profile 2.0 is the same as profile 1.1 apart from it has 1Gb of local staorage capacity and has to have the facility for an internet connect. ( the last bit is the one that concerns me).

The BBC have a good link on the subject here

In theory you should be able to play any profile disc on any profile player but having spent out on a disc I would personaly want to play all the feature.

Various rumours are stating that the PS3 "should" be upgradable to profile 2.0

Last edited by Scooby Doo; 18th February 2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added the BBC link
Old 18th February 2008, 07:38 PM
The Original Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
.....For that reason... I've been looking at dedicated Blu-Ray players recently, and just yesterday all but made my mind up to get a Panasonic DMP-BD30.

You do know the Panasonic DMP-BD50 has been anounced ;). Profile 2.0, HDMI V1.3 and Viera link
Old 19th February 2008, 03:59 AM
Ninja Master

Wink

Yeah... I knew it had been announced Scoobs... but there's no saying how long it'll be before it's on the market?
Especially here in the UK... where we're often the cows arse when it comes to getting new technologies

I've read "Spring 2008"?

But the expected street price is £1,000 - more than 4x the price of the BD-30
Old 19th February 2008, 04:32 AM
Ninja Master

Lightbulb Microsoft says possible end of HD DVD won't impact Xbox 360

Quote:

No matter what Toshiba decides to do about HD DVD, Microsoft says the decision will have little bearing on the Xbox 360 game console - for which the Redmond company sells a HD DVD add-on.

"We do not believe the recent reports about HD DVD will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace.
As we've long stated, we believe it is games that sell consoles, and Xbox 360 continues to have the largest next-gen games library,
with the most exclusives and best selling games in the industry
.", Microsoft said in a statement.
If there's anybody else who's at all interested... read the full article on BetaNews
Old 19th February 2008, 12:25 PM
Troll

Problem here is theres absolutely sweet f**k all thats available on HD. Foxtel (Sky/whatever paytv you are on) is still analogue but promises (still) to go HD soon.

Still cant justify the expense for a few dvd's - maybe a few 'nasties' would tip the scales ;)
Old 19th February 2008, 06:38 PM
The Original Muppet

Quote:
Problem here is theres absolutely sweet f**k all thats available on HD. Foxtel (Sky/whatever paytv you are on) is still analogue but promises (still) to go HD soon.

Still cant justify the expense for a few dvd's - maybe a few 'nasties' would tip the scales ;)

Foxtel is digital though and has been since about 2004 i thought? Reading about it though the HD IQ2 box sounds like its coming out mid 2008. Seeing as Foxtel, DirecTV and $ky.....sorry I mean Sky :D are all Murdoch bassed the technology is already done. Although content seems to be limited to National Geographic, Discovery, BBC and a few Sports
Old 19th February 2008, 10:57 PM
Troll

Whoops - of course you are correct. I meant SD.
Thanks for the update - I bet they charge more for it, plus an 'installation fee' (ie - unplug old box, plug in new box). If thats the case and its only a few channels doesn't seem worth the bother.

Why did I get an HDTV again??
Old 20th February 2008, 05:01 AM
Ninja Master

Unhappy Toshiba officially pulled the plug yesterday!

Toshiba drops out of HD DVD war :(

Quote:

Following a review of its business, Toshiba said it would stop production of HD DVD players and recorders.

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best", Toshiba president Atsutoshi Nishida said.

Old 20th March 2008, 07:45 PM
The Original Muppet

Quote:
Interactive Movies Come to Life on PLAYSTATION®3 with System Software Update Version 2.20
Downloadable Movie Content and Interactive Games, available with BD-LIVE PS3™’s Interoperability with PSP™(PlayStation®Portable) Enhanced

London, 20th March 2008 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that system software update v.2.20, for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™), planned for release in late March, will add Blu-ray Disc™ (BD) Profile 2.0 (known as BD-LIVE). With the ability to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games, and more, BD-LIVE promises to offer PS3 users the ultimate interactive film experience. In addition to BD-LIVE, the system software update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP™(PlayStation®Portable), as well as other new features.

To access Blu-ray Profile 2.0, users require an Internet connection and at least 1GB of local storage. Movies with BD-LIVE are scheduled for release next month.

The following features have been demonstrated to be possible with BD-LIVE and will vary depending on the title:

· A variety of downloadable content, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles, ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones, images, and more.

· Interactive movie-based games can pit players who are sitting in the same room, or are across the world and online, against each other.

In addition to BD-LIVE, system software update v.2.20 enhances PS3’s relationship with PSP, enabling users to copy their favourite music and photo playlists to their PSP and experience them on-the-go. This new functionality makes it easer than ever to share media content between the two systems.

The following new features will also be included in the system software update:

· “Resume play” will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.*1

· “Audio Output Device” will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.

· PS3’s Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser’s view speed will be improved.

· DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.

· “Mosquito Noise Reduction” will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.*2

*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.

*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.
It looks like the PS3 is going to be a good option if you want to go blue-ray
Old 21st March 2008, 12:52 PM
Ninja Master

Cool

Quote:

... will add Blu-ray Disc™ (BD) Profile 2.0 (known as BD-LIVE).
What excellent news

Many thanks for the heads-up Scooby :thumbsup:

Can I ask where you got the info - so I can include a link when I share the info with friends?

On a side note: Following the demise of HD-DVD, Microsoft's Xbox 360 HD-DVD player add-on is now being sold of for just £40

Amazon UK: £39.98 - which includes FREE 'Super-Saver' delivery!!

[edit] Dunno if either was your source Scooby, but I've found a couple of sites carrying the news:

Gizmodo / Beta News :thumbsup: [/edit]
Old 21st March 2008, 01:13 PM
The Original Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
What excellent news

Many thanks for the heads-up Scooby :thumbsup:

Can I ask where you got the info - so I can include a link when I share the info with friends?
I got it from a Dvd forum, but they go there info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
On a side note: Following the demise of HD-DVD, Microsoft's Xbox 360 HD-DVD player add-on is now being sold of for just £40

Amazon UK: £39.98 - which includes FREE 'Super-Saver' delivery!!
£34.99 from Argos . And to think I have one and its still wrapped up in the box :(.
Old 10th April 2008, 06:49 PM
The Original Muppet

PS3 DTS-HD Master Audio - coming April 15th

Might as well go here :D

Quote:
DTS, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTSI) a digital audio technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience, has announced that its DTS-HD Master Audio™ technology is now available for the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master at super high variable bit rates (up to 24.5 Mbps on Blu-ray™ Discs). This bit stream is so fast and the transfer rate so high that it can deliver 7.1 audio channel, 96k/24-bit sound identical to the original studio master. DTS’ single-bit-stream codec design enables supremely efficient content programming and consumer playback. The new PS3 with DTS-HD Master Audio will be available by simply downloading the upcoming firmware upgrade on April 15th, 2008.

“We are extremely pleased that Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) is adding the full spectrum premium DTS-HD Master Audio codec into the PS3 so that more than 10 million owners of one of the best selling computer entertainment systems can have the best sounding, most efficient and flexible audio technology available system as well,” said Brian Towne, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Division at DTS. “DTS-HD Master Audio is fast becoming the must-have feature for high definition entertainment enthusiasts.”
Link

"PS3 was designed to enable delivery of new and improved technologies like DTS-HD Master Audio," said Teiji Yutaka, Senior Vice President, Software Platform Development, SCE. "So we are delighted to be able to offer this capability to PS3 users."